Friday, June 18, 2010

3 Days, 36 Hours

I just got done working 36 hours in three days. It seems like a lot, but that can be very typical in the health care profession. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't almost 8 months pregnant, but I survived!

So to sum up my experience this week, I would have to say "sad". This week brought about a lot of cancer patients. Not something I would necessarily expect in an ICU (and I don't know why) but they were there. All of the cancer patients I had contact with this week had limited time left, and they all had cancer metastasize to another area in their body. They were all smokers. I am so glad I quit! One patient had accepted his death, one patient may have but it was too hard to tell because he was on a vent, but his son had not accepted his prognosis and the other patient was aloof. We also had a code this week which is not atypical for the ICU. The patient came back, but was placed on a vent so its any one's guess as to what his outcome will be.

I go back next week for more, but this time not 2 in a row! Once I gather all of my information I will reflect on what Medical ICU has left me with. Until then...ta ta!

Katie

2 comments: